Morningside Road railway station is a former railway station in the Morningside area of Edinburgh, Scotland. It was opened by the Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway (ESSJR) on 1 December 1884 as Morningside Station.
Railway advertising on the bridge over the tracks
After the ESSJR was incorporated into the North British Railway on 1 March 1885, the station was renamed Morningside Road in October 1886.
Morningside Road station closed in 1962 when passenger rail services were withdrawn from the Edinburgh Suburban line, although the line itself was retained for rail freight use. The route continues to be used for freight services to this day and occasionally diverted passenger trains also pass through Morningside.
The station was located by Morningside Road, where the road bridge crosses the suburban line and was accessed via a gate on the west side of the road, opposite the Morningside Clock.
Today the station building has been converted for commercial use. The outer circle platform was removed to allow Mark 3 coaching stock to operate on the line. Abellio ScotRail has an advertising hoarding on the bridge next to the clock, where it displays posters advertising passenger rail services. The iron footbridge from the former station still stands to this day, connecting Maxwell Street to Balcarres Street.